How to view your record

Yes. You have the right, under the Data Protection Act 1998, to request access to any information that organisations like the NHS hold about you.

This includes copies of paper, electronic and hybrid patient health records. For more information about how to view your health care or social care records, please visit your local authority or NHS Trust website.


How to withhold your record

If you do not want to have your information shared, this is called ‘Opting Out’. Simply download the  pdf CHIE Opt out form. (342 KB)  Please return your completed form and proof of your identity to us – see details below.


How to view your audit trail

If you wish to view who has accessed your records via CHIE, you can request a copy of your audit trail. To do so, download the pdf CHIE view audit trail form (289 KB) . Please return your completed form and proof of your identity to us – see details below.



Important information about sending forms


All forms and proof of identity should be sent to:

CHIE, NHS South, Central and West Commissioning Support Unit Building 003 Fort Southwick, James Callaghan Drive, Fareham, PO17 6AR


Proof of ID needed:

You will be required to provide proof of your address. Please enclose photocopies of two or more of the acceptable forms of identification listed below:

  • Current UK Driving Licence
  • Current signed passport
  • ID Card
  • Birth Certificate

Plus one of the following:

  • Recent utility bill (within the last three months)
  • Local Authority Council
  • Tax Bill
  • Bank/Building Society statement of personal account


Please make sure that these forms of identification show the following:

  • First name
  • Last Name
  • Address
  • Date of birth


Please note: If you are making more than one request at the same time, you only need to send in the correct copies of identification once.

We take the security of our records very seriously. If the information above is not provided, we cannot process your application any further. 

If you have any questions about this process, please contact us.